Areas of Practice
Tax Credits Practice
Everyone needs an edge in today’s volatile real estate markets. Projects which once looked like a no-brainer may now be on the bubble. You may even be contemplating abandoning the project altogether. We can help.
Ginsberg Jacobs LLC’s Tax Credit Service Group focuses on assisting real estate developers in bridging the financial gap through tax credit financing. We have helped many clients and, ultimately, saved entire development projects by finding government credits that work toward the bottom line. We know our way around these complex credits.
Our cross-disciplinary Tax Credit Service Group involves attorneys from all areas of our firm so we can work quickly to get your project moving along. Our expertise enables us to provide clients with innovative solutions for complex problems and our experience also allows us to be extremely efficient throughout the entire process.
The New Markets Tax Credit promotes investment in low-income communities by providing tax credits for qualified investments. Most clients never realize these funds might be available, but since qualifying areas are determined by the prior census, the areas that qualify are often surprising. Our attorneys have assisted clients in New Markets Tax Credit transactions involving hotels, shopping centers, community facilities, office space and mixed-use developments throughout the Midwest and nationally.
We have extensive experience in structuring Historic and Rehabilitation Credit transactions and bring a unique perspective to preservation matters as a result of our involvement with charitable organizations dedicated to preserving historic structures. We also regularly handle twinned transactions that combine Historic Tax Credits with New Markets Tax Credits.
Services & Experience
Our attorneys regularly structure transactions involving New Markets Tax Credits, Historic and Rehabilitation Credits, Affordable Housing Credits and Energy Credits. These credits play a vital role in the financing and development of historic preservation and affordable housing projects, as well as retail, industrial, office and mixed-use real estate in low-income communities.
Tax Credit Services
- Historic and Rehabilitation Credit transactions using direct and pass through credit structures
- Structuring and preparing offering documents for tax credit syndications
- Structuring leveraged New Markets Tax Credit transactions including preparation of Qualified Low Income Community Investment loan documents and leverage loan documents
- Structuring non-leveraged New Markets Tax Credit transactions including negotiation and preparation of loan documents
- Managing Twinned Credit transactions combining New Markets Tax Credits with Historic or Rehabilitation Credits
- Developing strategies for avoiding credit recapture in troubled credit transactions
- Representing a Native American Tribe in connection with $25 million in New Markets Tax credit financing for a multipurpose community facility
- Representing a developer in connection with Historic Tax Credit financing for a $35 million dollar hotel project in Minnesota
- Representing a non-profit organization in connection with $8.5 million in New Markets Tax Credit financing for a multipurpose athletic center in Florida
- Representing a larger national grocer in connection with New Markets Tax Credit financing for multiple locations
- Representing several capital companies in connection with private placement of debt instruments relating to state New Market Tax Credits
Leasing & Land Use Recent Closed Tax Credit Transactions
- Represented food manufacturer/processor in connection with $50 million in in New Markets Tax Credit financing for plant expansions in South Dakota and Wisconsin
- Represented a charter school organization in connection with $23 million New Markets Tax Credit and Historic Tax Credit financing for a rehabilitation project involving the conversion of historic structure into a charter school in Chicago
- Represented a non-profit healthcare organization in connection with $22 million in New Markets Tax Credit financing for a community health facility development in Hawaii
- Represented a Native American Tribe in connection with $42 million in New Markets Tax Credit financing for a rural sawmill operation
- Represented a fine metal finishing and production company in connection with $13.5 million in New Markets Tax Credit financing for a plant expansion in Alabama
Areas of Practice